ttflywheels_test_ad

Welcome to the
Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum

Advertisement

Getting Started
New Page 1
Tri-Newbies Home ->  Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum -> View Thread
Home | General-Tri | Swim | Bike | Run | Training Programs | Wellness | Resources | Links

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My B2B race report
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion ForumMessage format

Renegade Ren
Posted 2013-11-06 2:17 PM (#642122)
Subject: My B2B race report

Elite Veteran

Pre-race split predictions:

Swim 1:10:XX
T1 4 mins
Bike 5:30:XX
T2 4 mins
Run 4:00:XX

Sub 11 hours for my 1st attempt to 140.6

Pre race

Air temps was 36-40 depending who you asked, regardless the sand at the swim start was easily 32 degrees! I had thick ski socks on and ready to strip off just as soon as we went through the morning rituals of any triathlon. National Anthem, morning ironman prayer, and Eminen’s Lose yourself!

The Swim:

Horn goes off and I let the 1st half of the mass go ahead so I am not part of the melee! They said the tides were non-existing but somehow I felt like I was flying. Never got passed and constantly plowing through the field of swimmers. The water temps were 71-73 and my sleeveless wetsuit was the perfect choice. A week before I tried a friend’s full sleeve and after 500 yards my delts we burning. Swimmers would swim up to me and ask if I was ok…

1H05M30S - 108 out of 499 (Overall Men). I’ll take it, I had not swam that distance in over 2 months and I came out of the water feeling fresh and ready for the next challenge (T1)

Transition 1:

I thought I would be able to dry off enough and add layers all within 4 minutes but I was dead wrong. This was my 1st time in a 140.6 changing tent. This was an event all on its own! Pure comical carnage!

9 min 54 sec – 130 out of 499 (Overall Men)

The Bike:

The buzz all around town (well the Wilmington tri community) was the weather. It was fluctuating everyday prior to the race, but 1 thing was consistent 0 winds! Well that was not the case come race day! We somehow managed to have a 10 + mph headwind in every direction. I did 6 centuries leading up to October. Some of them had stronger winds then that day but for some reason the wind on this day was enough to annoy me.
I always thought my bike was going to be the easy stage of the 140.6 but for some reason I was just unable to get comfortable. 4 personal stops, 1 stop at the special needs aid station, and 1 near miss (some hillbilly hunter letting his hounds cross the road with no care or sense of urgency with cyclist rolling by at 20 mph) in 112 miles was good enough for me. Having lost all feeling in my feet coming out of the water and well into 100 miles of the bike I was ready for the marathon to bring back some circulation back to my toes. (That last sentence is something I would never image saying 5 years ago!)

5h50m59s 100 of 499 Overall Men. 20 minutes off of my target time. I realized at that point that I was not going to go sub 11 hours. No time for a pity party!

Transition 2:

I gave myself 4 minutes for this but I knew I was going to breeze through it. Actual time was 2m58s 11th out of all the Men! DANG! Almost cracked the top 10 in t2 time!

The Run (the unknown):

With over 300 miles of training runs for the marathon I’ve had plenty of time to crunch my splits, and change my strategies a bazillion times! I had 2 nagging concerns leading up to the race

1 – Can you really run the entire 26.2 miles without walking?
2 – What will really happen after mile 16?

6 weeks prior to the race I stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine. I wanted to drop any kind of weight that was related to late night (9:30 pm) empty calories from liquor. I wanted my 1st taste of caffeine to be at mile 16 in the form of coke. I never drink the stuff and after reading Macca’s book I thought it would work instead of consuming more friggin’ Gus. I tried drinking Coke during the long runs in the summer months to make sure I would not have some adverse effect to it come race day. I ended up taking my 1st sip at mile 13 and was expecting the jolt to be something like the Adrenaline Shot scene in Pulp Fiction but it was more like “meh, whatever”. The caffeine buzz did slowly creep up and I got a second wind at mile 20, or perhaps it was the sight of the Mile Marker 20 sign. Either way it was enough to make me negative split the last 6.2 miles! The sun was fading and the night lights were starting to illuminate. I noticed the temperature was dropping and I stopped sweating even though I was pushing the pace more. Please feet don't fail me now!

4h14m28s 105 out the Overall Men. Not my 4 hour marathon as predicted. Not on this day! But hey no walking!

11 hours 23 minutes 4 seconds what a day, what a trip!

I love this distance, I want to do more but for now I need to ease back on the long course. My wife was extremely supportive and at the end when we were both ready for it to be done she was the one pushing me on! I promised her a couple years before I bring up the next 140.6 and I am totally cool with that!

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the advice leading up to this race.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
What's HOT!

Read Review Here

Google Ads

(Delete all cookies set by this site)