ttflywheels_test_ad

Welcome to the
Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum

Advertisement

Getting Started
New Page 1
Tri-Newbies Home ->  Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum -> View Thread
Home | General-Tri | Swim | Bike | Run | Training Programs | Wellness | Resources | Links

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky Roll call - Who are you? newbies/lurkers play along
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion ForumMessage format

Renegade Ren
Posted 2009-10-12 11:05 AM (#629583 - in reply to #629532)
Subject: RE: Roll call - Who are you? newbies/lurkers play along

Elite Veteran

Hey Dan and all others TNOs,

I too was a sedentary kid with great skillz on all the game consoles and no experience on the real deal! If there was a Tri video game, I would be good at it! Ex: EA Sports Tiger Woods, I started playing it ever since it came out in '99, I decided to play real golf 2 yrs ago and I love it (And hate it equally all at the same time). I have lived 400 yds from the Atlantic ocean for 9 yrs now and I have probably got in it maybe a couple dozen times (Notice I never said swam...)

I started lifting weights in the mid 90's with a bunch of pin cushions but never poked myself. It was great motivation though to have a bunch of Juice Monkeys pushing you above your limits. I always seeked comfort in a gym pushing weight, but never wanted to be that powerlifter or bodybuilder. I could not agree more on your comment on lifting for vanity! I took up Kung Fu during that same time to keep me grounded and in check. I love that art and the person it evolved me in.

Fast forward a couple years later, married, no kids yet (5 year plan going on 6 lol). Body fluctuation like a yo-yo. The wife and I moved out of our house to do a major renovation (Long story short it turned into a tear down and full on new build) This was only suppose to take 6 months. We moved into a 860 sq ft 1 bedroom apt and signed a 6 month lease, we have now been there 10 months - Oh did I mention my wife came with a cat (JOY!)

The apartment complex came with a gym and I set a goal to be able to run 2.6 miles without stopping. This only took 2-3 months and I needed a new goal to keep me away from my inner demons... I was flipping through the channels one day and saw the Hawaii Ironman and I was in a trance. The human interest stories got me, hook line and sinker. It was my true Jerry Maguire Mission statement moment. I had no excuses and I wanted to do something that I could never believe if you told me 5 - 10 - 20 years ago.

I am going to start off slow, a couple of sprints and graduate to Olympic. That is my goal, I am not writing off the 1/2 IM or the full IM but I can't really see me getting the support from the wife, nor do I want to put her through that. She is not really a big fan of my new endeavor, but time fixes all, right?

I got a bike out of trade (I own a stone fabricating shop and I did a bike shop owner's kitchen) So now I am the douche riding around on a 2010 Tarmac Comp Double. Every time I am on that bike I think I don't deserve it, lack of experience with the new toys = douche in my opinion.

I train early in the AM (04:30 or as my wife says stupid o'clock) 5 times a week with some days doing 2 a day... I wish there were more hours in the day. I would love to continue on with the weights but right now I need to work on my cardio and times (Swims, rides, and runs)

I know that I am in a good place when I catch myself smiling during a hard part of a run. So this time next year I hope to have a couple of sprints, 1/2 marathons and some centurys under my belt.

I hope to meet some TNOs brethren throughout my journeys!

Thanks for reading,

Ren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
What's HOT!

Read Review Here

Google Ads

(Delete all cookies set by this site)