ttflywheels_test_ad

Welcome to the
Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum

Advertisement

Getting Started
New Page 1
Tri-Newbies Home ->  Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion Forum -> View Thread
Home | General-Tri | Swim | Bike | Run | Training Programs | Wellness | Resources | Links

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky Roll call - Who are you? newbies/lurkers play along
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Tri-Newbies Online -> Tri-Newbies Online Discussion ForumMessage format

danradin
Posted 2009-10-06 5:34 PM (#629413 - in reply to #620834)
Subject: RE: Roll call - Who are you? newbies/lurkers play along

New user

Hi everybody, I'm (1) Dan from (2) Playa del Rey, on Los Angeles' west side. I'm (3) a 29-year total novice to not only triathlon, but all racing. I haven't ridden a bike in 15 years and have never seriously swam in the ocean. Clearly I have my work cut out for me.

I was a chunky, indoorsy kid who became a fat dude in college (5'7" 275lbs) and then dropped 100 pounds through running and diet. I got certified through NASM as a CPT and loved sharing what I had learned about cutting fat and and building muscle. That was eight years ago, and since then, I've spent a lot of time in the gym lifting weights. Weightlifting has been a security blanket for me because, I think, for the first six or seven years following my weight loss, I really felt as though I could easily slip up and the weight would come flying back. Lifting weights has been a way to (a) keep my metabolism high so I can have a little more caloric wiggle room, and (b) make my body muscular, which I enjoy. But I never wanted to be a bodybuilder or a power lifter and when you remove those two possible goals from the picture, you realize that you're training for vanity.

I've come to the realization that I like exercising, and that the weight isn't coming back unless I make some dramitc changes to my lifestyle and eating habits. I like being active and I also like being outside, but I think I need to be a little more goal-oriented about it. So, I've decided to train for next year's LA Tri. My short-term goals are to run a 5K (october 25) and a 10K (still looking for a date/race combo that works) before the end of 2009. Midterm goal is a sprint tri as early in 2010 as I can find so I have time to train for olympic length in late August/early October. My other goal is to maintain as much of my muscularity as I can. I realize that I'll probably lose or shift my physique as a result of this radical change in my training.

I'm probably going to join the LA Tri Club to get some hands-on experience and meet some in-person peers. I'm a 24-Hour Fitness member and have access to a pool and the ocean, so I'm pretty lucky in terms of training locations.

I need to get a bike so I can begin that part of training, but would ideally like to start off with something very affordable (that can also become my bike-to-work bike) and work my way into something a little nicer as I progress.

I'm here to learn from all of you, and hopefully move to a position to share my experiences with people who are in the position I am in now. Thanks for having me here. I'm excited about what's ahead!

Edited by danradin 2009-10-06 5:36 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
What's HOT!

Read Review Here

Google Ads

(Delete all cookies set by this site)